OpenCart Lightning CRON job not ending

4 replies to this topic

#1 FearWorks Media (guest)

FearWorks Media (guest)
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

Hi Max,

I have just installed a trial of OpenCart Lightning on a store running OC 1.5.2.

I have configured the CRON script to run but I am finding that it never ends - it just seems to hang.

I am on Windows Server 2012 R2, and have tried running the script both from the command line and as a scheduled task with the same result.

Is there a known issue or is this something you are aware of? Do I really need to run the CRON job or will the tasks it carries out be carried out anyway if I don't run it?

If you need FTP access or anything else just let me know.

Thanks.

#2 MaxD

MaxD

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

That is OK, CRON job is designed to hang in idle state, until the need to pregenerate arizes - due to cache expire or visitor opening some page triggers next pages pregeneration.

#3 Guest (guest)

Guest (guest)
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:32 AM

Hi Max,

Thanks, I understand that now. If it just hangs anyway, why does it need to be run every 15 minutes? Is that simply to keep it running if the process gets shut down? For example, Windows Task Scheduler can be set to close a running task after a certain amount of time, say 3 hours, so are we just running the job every 15 minutes so that it is always available and runs within 15 minutes if it does get shutdown?

I'm just trying to understand exactly how it's designed to work so that I know what is the expected behaviour, so I know nothing is wrong :)

Also would it matter if the CRON is not run? What would be the effect of this?

Thanks so much for the answers!

#4 MaxD

MaxD

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

This CRON job is designed to restart itseft (the previos copy dies when new one is started).

Lot of hosters has some limits for PHP script working, thats why 15 mins is optimal.

Without CRON job pages pregeneration will be carried out by AJAX-requests from client's browsers, that is not so effective.

#5 Guest (guest)

Guest (guest)
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hi Max,

I get it! Thanks for making it clear!

Thanks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Community Skin by Fredson Nunes Junior